Saturday, April 24, 2010

The case of solving your Company immediate IT needs


I have been thinking about this topic for quite sometime, and now that I have some time in my hands, I want to write about it and perhaps I can get somebody's opinion.

Often times when you work for a small or mid size company, your everyday job is about dealing with tactical issues instead of looking at the overall strategical aspect of IT.
Managers come to Us with different ideas and business cases for new products, services or applications and we, IT people have to look into requirements, pricing, deliver the system, training, etc.
This tactical approach works fine when you are working for a small company , but it will not scale with company growth. You will end up with multiple systems each one hosting their own set of data all wired together like the case of a cold plate of spaghetti.
I personally lived this scenario, and although I tried to bring to the attention of the Executive Management about the limitations of this approach, I was unsuccessful at communicating it. Reversing these misfortunes is not solely the work of IT , but the work of the Management Team and more so if IT does not have access to the decision making process. 
A decision making framework has to be created where you can prioritize, control, measure and fund IT projects and portfolios. This is the case of a Governance or Steering Committee.
only then you will be able to drive value from IT otherwise you are on the path of the IT Liability.

No comments:

Post a Comment